Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Pit Bulls...What Do You Think?

American Pit Bull Terrier
without cropped ears
Aaahhh...the ever controversial "Pit Bull" discussion. When I talk about Pit Bulls I'm referring to the American Staffordshire Terrier, American Pit Bull Terrier and Staffordshire Bull Terrier. I don't include the Bull Terrier (the Target mascot dog) into this group because they usually aren't mistaken as a Pit Bulls since they don't have the "boxy" looking face like the other three.

To some, Pit Bulls are scary, vicious, people killing machines. This was not always the case. Throughout the late 19th and early 20th century these dog were considered "Nanny Dogs". In fact, Helen Keller's dog was a Pit Bull, as was the dog on "The Little Rascal's". So how did these dog go from being a common family dog, who was considered loyal and protecting of children, to being feared and banned in many cities? That's easy...stupid people. Individuals who saw dog fighting as a sport became very interested in these dogs because of their muscular physique and fearless nature. These horrible people started to breed these dogs into aggressive, reactive animals who were willing to fight to the death. Since the areas the dog fought in where pits in the ground, these dogs became known as Pit Bulls. Although Pit Bulls have the traits to be aggressive, if raised correctly and socialized well they are much less likely to show any aggressive behavior. Beware though, they can lick you to death.

As I'm sure you've noticed, I'm being careful not to say that they can't hurt people but I believe any breed of dog will react differently based on each situation. As much as I wish I were the Dog Whisperer, because I think he's extremely talented, I'm not. Therefore, I don't know why one dog reacts differently than another. I use to live next door to a family who had a Lab that was the sweetest dog ever...until it bit my friend's hand. Did that make me think ALL Labs are unpredictable? Not at all. It just shows that dogs have their own personalities. Some bite, others run away and others would just not be bothered by the same situation.

Staffordshire Bull Terrier
with cropped ears
I also believe the media has a huge part in portraying Pit Bulls in a negative light. There have been many reports of dog attacks that have said to be Pit Bulls, when in fact it was a Lab or Boxer or some other large breed dog. Not everyone can detect what a Pit Bull looks like. The media knows it will get a more reactive response, therefore more ratings, if they say it was another one of those "vicious" Pit Bulls then it being a Lab or Retriever. Yet, you have to search for the "Hero" Pit Bull stories because they usually aren't broadcast on prime time as the horror stories are. Just recently I've found quite a few stories on Pit Bulls being heroes. In one story, a man was trying to stop an intruder from entering his home. His Pit Bull bit the man and was shot in the head by the intruder in the process. Once the dog let go, the man took off. Thankfully, the dog survived because the bullet ricocheted off his thick skull. Another story involved a little girl, I think around 3 years old, who wandered off from her home and was found hours later in the woods by her neighbor's house. Her Pit Bull was by her side, just as a Nanny Dog would be. The media is not as willing to tell these stories though because that would go against the main stream of how horrible Pit Bulls are "suppose" to be.

When people ask me if I'm afraid Maci will hurt my son...she sleeps in his bed with him every night..I want to high five their face. Do they really think I would have a dog that I'm afraid will hurt my child anywhere near him? Of course I'm not worried. Maci would run away from something before she would bite. Will she correct dogs at the dog park when they won't leave her alone...yep! That's what dogs do. They teach each other manners and will let each other know when they are done playing...or sick of getting sniffed in between the legs like Maci does. I've only heard Maci bark 5 times since we've adopted her. Twice she barked because something scared her and the other 3 times were to let Meeko know she was all done with his craziness.

I've learned a lot about Pit Bulls since adopting Maci. I've learned they are amazing, loyal, friendly, misunderstood, stubborn dogs. I've learned to become an ambassador for the breed and not reacting like a crazy woman when people make ignorant statements about them. I've learned they are one of the most forgiving and appreciative dogs. Most of the rescue Pit Bulls I've seen are so thankful and happy that they've been given a second chance. I've learned they need to be exercised and mentally stimulated unless you want them to find things to do on their own...which usually means finding your prized possessions torn to shreds (I miss you pink suede boots!!). I've learned they can have horrible upbringings and pasts but can make the most loving dogs when given a chance.

I have a feeling Meeko was the instigator in this 
war with the kleenex but Maci wasn't afraid to 
take the blame.
I could go on and on about how wonderful this breed of dogs is but I think you get the point. They need structure, a strong pack leader, love and patience. They are not fighters, they are lovers. The unfortunate truth is too many people abuse, torture and make these dogs fight to make them money. I've seen too many graphic pictures of dogs who have been used as bait dogs or have been tortured because they lost a fight and it makes me sick. Pit Bulls can and do feel pain. They are like any other dog that just wants to be loved and show love back.

American Staffordshire
Terrier Puppy
I encourage all those that think Pit Bulls are evil dogs and should be euthanized on the spot to volunteer at a rescue for Pit Bulls. Find out their past and then look at the dog who's spirit is broken and defeated and tell me the dog deserved that treatment. Work with the dogs, let them get to know you and see how just a little attention and love gives them happiness and hope. If, after you have worked with these dogs for even a month and still feel the same way, then fine. Everyone has their own opinions but I would find it hard to believe that they won't steal your heart and change your mind. My Maci has my heart and even though she's terrified of life, I know if I needed her to protect me or my son, she would.

One last note...please adopt, don't buy. There are so many dogs in facilities waiting to die because people feel the need to breed their dogs. Help stop innocent animals from dying everyday and adopt your next fur baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment